Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Siddhartha



The life of Siddhartha, and his enlightenment.

Ever since reading this book in English, it has popped in my mind from time to time.  I know this book has some truth, and through scripture and other forms of spiritual literature, I’ve come to some conclusions:
                Siddhartha early on conquered his natural body.  This gave him the ability to act accordingly to his heart and his deepest desires to reach enlightment.  –Enlightenment, in my view, is true happiness.—Siddhartha reached enlightenment by first mastering his carnal state.  

                According to Stephen R. Covey, all spiritual paths are first built upon control over the body.  “I believe that days one and two for most of us involve getting more control over the body__Such as getting to bed early, arising early, exercising regularly, eating in moderation, staying at our work when necessary even thought tired, etc.  Too many are trying to conquer other higher weaknesses… such as procrastination, impatience, or pride, while still a slave to their appetites.  If we can’t control the body and its appetites, how can we ever control our tongue (a part of the body) or overcome the emotions of anger, envy, jealousy, or hatred.” 
                So in other words, first things first.  I will master controlling my body and its impulses before anything.    Just like the word of wisdom says, “not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—….Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.”  I cannot be a spiritual man if I have not mastered the temporal world first.  
                How far does this limit stretch?  Maybe it goes further than just controlling our hunger, thirst, and other bodily functions.  Perhaps it goes further than just controlling our addictions.  Maybe it learning to focus as well, and learning to persevere through obstacles.  Aren’t these the simplest lessons we learn as children?  But somehow it can take us more than a lifetime to learn.  No wonder religions such as Buddhism believe in multiple lifetimes.  How can one master the body in just one lifetime?  How much effort will I have to exhort before I get results?  And If I do get results, how far must I go before I’m ready to progress to God’s greater steps?  

                At least this has helped me realize that there are steps in this life.  I’m starting to figure out the steps in this life.  But through the mastering and exploration of these steps, perhaps I’ll find that adventure or mystery I’m so desperately craving.


***

Here's another promise I've discovered about fasting.



“What if there were a way to overcome our habits, addictions, and burdens?   What if there were a way to gain sufficient confidence in the Lord that you could call down the powers of heaven?   What if there were principles you could teach your loved ones that, if applied, would allow them to overcome personal weaknesses and draw closer to God?
As we properly understand and live the law of the fast, these desired blessings can be ours.”             
 - Elder Shayne M. Bowen
"Fasting invites enlightenment and the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  The Lord promises not only the power to overcome all of our sins but also light, health, and righteousness in our lives. And, just as with the children of Israel, He promises that His glory will surround and protect us."


No comments:

Post a Comment